Saturday, July 5, 2008

MMBA Advocacy Rides

I should have put this here earlier, but better late than never, right?
I got an email from Corey at Montana Mountain Bike Alliance a few days ago about some advocacy rides going on in the state. This weekend there's three:
  • July 4th, Continental Divide Trail at Mile Creek (yes, I'm aware that it was yesterday)
  • July 5th, Coffin Lake
  • July 6th, Sheep Lake
Meet at the Ridge Athletic club on Fallon. This is the new one that's out on the west side of town, not on Mendenhall next to Rocky Mountain Roasters.
These trails are in danger of being closed to mountain bikes by the Gallatin National Forest. I know that not too many folks from Bozeman make it out there, as it's a fairly long drive but they are crucial to the West Yellowstone mountain bike community. Go on these rides and write to the forest service about keeping these trails open. The comment period is over July 18th.
I went on the CDT ride yesterday with Corey and about 7 or 8 other folks. I've driven in the general area, mostly taking family past Quake Lake, but this was my first time riding in that part of the state. This trail and this area is among the most stunningly beautiful that I've ridden. All singletrack, you start climbing at a moderate grade through wildflower-ridden meadow. The trail makes its way into a drainage but stays lush and green while it climbs then falls in an undulating fashion (much like South Cottonwood). After a few miles of that, the trail starts with switchbacks, most of which are wide and fairly easy to ride. This section takes you up rapidly, with each turn providing another stunning view.
Then a rock broke my derailleur hanger, so that was the end of climbing for me. The others kept going, ultimately hitting snow and ditching their bikes to hike to the saddle and just into Idaho. I rode gingerly down since I had forgotten my bike shoes and I was riding with locked-out suspension and a single-speeded drivetrain. Despite this, the downhill was still incredible.
This is a trail that I'll definitely be going back to soon, but with my shoes. And a spare hanger. Get a few people together, carpool the best you can (and get the others to contribute to gas) and do the same. You don't want to miss this one.
Info Here.
If you have any questions, email Corey at cbiggers@rmtcinc.com.

No comments: