Monday, July 28, 2008

Curly Lake

Curly lake is open now. Here's a gmap link that will get you near the trailhead. Basically once you get to Mammoth, keep going about 2-4 miles until you see what looks like some campsites, followed by some singletrack headed up a nigh impossible climb. Don't cross the creek. There's a sign that says Curly Cr. TR No 159. For actual directions Beartooth Publishing has this and many more rides very well categorized; this can be obtained at any local outdoor shop, bike or otherwise.

For those interested, but uncertain what this ride entails, some quite probably apocryphal statistics follow. It's around 25 miles and has about 5000 feet of elevation. I believe the 'official' description includes the word arduous. It also was hands-down my favorite ride so far...ever. So do it. Just take a lot of water and peanut butter.

A guy did the ride on a Big Dummy. At one point he pulled a barbecued chicken sandwich out of a FreeLoader...we were all envious...until we started climbing again.



Oh and, that's not a beer in the dude's hand on the left, it's a bottle of Glenlivet. Of course he was on a single-speed, so he probably needed something to numb the pain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

More pics? Those mountains were awesome.

SingletrackM1nd said...

There's a post on TheBozemanFix with a link to fotos

Anonymous said...

I will personally hunt down and kill the next person to write about montana trails!!! Seriously move back to where ever you may be from and leave this state alone!!!!

Mr DNA said...

Anon #2:
I am from the United States of America. I can move wherever I want to in this country and be a productive member of society. I currently live in Montana. Maybe I'll stay. Maybe I'll move to Oregon or Washington or Colorado. Maybe I'll move to West (by God) Virginia. But when and if I move out of the state of Montana it's going to be because I want to, not because someone in this state has a problem with my sharing information on trails. Not that you could "hunt down and kill" me anyway. Yep, I'm shitting bricks.

Anyway, let me share an epiphany I had about 12 or so years ago. I had a similar sentiment: "these city people coming here riding all my trails!" and I stopped sharing the location of a few choice riding areas. Smug with the satisfaction on keeping my stash to myself and my friends I'd ride in said area and continue to not see anyone except close friends.
The a couple of years later, I noticed a couple of things. Trails which a few years earlier were amazing downhills were getting hard to ride from non-use. Sections eventually ceased to be trails.
The second event was the threat of development. Another riding area which I was loathe to share with outsiders was scheduled to be razed and an industrial park built. While trying to get support to save that area I realized that most people had no idea it existed, most people didn't know there were trails there. Most people didn't know of the gems that lied in that spot.

Dude, the Curly lake trail isn't going to have a Super Wal-Mart built at the trailhead but we (the mountain bike community) are always at risk of losing trails to Wilderness designation. The very point of this blog is to help bring the Gallatin Valley mountain biking community together in the face of threats from all angles. The more people we can get on our side, the better we can fight when someone threatens to shut us out of our public land.
I will continue to write about trails in Montana as will everyone else on this blog. In fact, I have plans to change the blog so that it's even EASIER for people to share info on rides in this great state. And no xenophobic sentiment is going to dissuade me from doing that.

Besides, this trail has already been published in a fantastic book by Beartooth Publishing. OH, it looks like the cover picture is...from the Curly lake trail!
http://www.beartoothpublishing.com/

-DNA