Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A small trail update...

I was feeling frisky last night and took the mountain bike for a spin around the local stuff here in Bozeman.

The Gallagator trail is mud free, but pedestrian and canine rich. They don't take kindly to anything moving over 7 mph, so slow it down when you approach others. I was almost run off of the trail by a 5 year old on a BMX bike as well, so announce your intentions clearly

Pete's Hill and Chris Boyd trail is roughly the same. The single track the "follows" the wide main trail is a better bet. Less people, but more dogs not on a leashes.

Painted Hills was fun and dry but carved into the soil pretty deep. I kept hitting my pedals on the ground if I stayed in the main "rut". The further south you go, the more mud you encounter when you cross the creek.

Continuing south after getting off of painted hills (after jumping the fence), I got lost. After aimlessly wondering around on game trails for 20 minutes, I figured I had better find a road. It was mostly dry while I was "Vietnaming".

Triple Tree trail was dry until you enter the aspens (not very far). I didn't go past that for fear of drowning in mud and $100 bills. Give this trail a while.

Bozeman Creek trail was dry with muddy patches for 200 yards. After that, snow is intermittent with mud surrounding the edges. About 350 yards from the gate the snow begins and doesn't have and end in sight.

Lewis and Clark Caverns is completely dry and by far the best riding available right now. Do yourself a favour and go the clockwise route. The downhill back to your car is KILLER. Make sure you're in shape though. The climb up to the visitors center is not easy. 950+ vertical feet in 1.5 miles... It can be loose at times as well.

Pipestone was a slopfest a few weeks ago with glare ice covered in running water on some sketchy downhill sections. This might be cleared up by now, but it doesn't discount the motorheads tearing the trail to pieces. Most of the trails we rode were doubletrack wide enough to fit a compact car on. If you hear a motor coming your way, just get off of the trail. Those guys are going 30-40+ around sharp corners and blind hills. It's a wonder how there aren't more head-on collisions out there.

I also have reports that the "M" is dry. I might try that today if I don't feel like spending my life savings on gas getting to the Caverns.

No comments: