Monday, October 20, 2008

History Rock to South Cottonwood

Yesterday (Sunday Oct 19) we rode the History Rock to South Cottonwood shuttle. Conditions were all-in-all pretty decent. Since you can choose either trail as a single ride, I'll split them up.

I had my doubts upon leaving the H.R. trailhead, as there was snow immediately for the first 20 yards or so. The rest of the History Rock trail however, was decent 75% of the time, with 15% being a bit too muddy to ride responsibly and the other 10% being covered in a few inches of snow near the top. Give this trail a few days of dry and it should be tire-gripping tackiness from the meadow down.

Once you reach the sign at the top of the two trails, the snow drops away completely. I cannot recall seeing any snow on the entire South Cottonwood side. There is - to say, quite a bit of evidence of recent snow cover. I would say it is 50-60% wet. Still fun, but if we had not needed to get the shuttle motorcycle at the South Cottonwood trailhead, I would not have stayed off for a few days to maintain trail steward status.

If the weather outlook that I am currently looking at is correct (rain Tuesday, nice beyond that) either trail will likely be IN by the weekend. Definitely recommended for the upcoming weekend, just be back in town by 5:30 on Saturday.

Happy Trails!

No comments: