Monday, October 27, 2008

Don't build jumps on the Leverich DH!



We recently heard the following from the forest service in reference to the jump pictured:

We need to get the word out that this is not acceptable on the
main Leverich route. We have talked about doing something like this on
spur, off shoot parts of the trail, but need to have further discussions
with the Bozeman Ranger on some of this before any work is done.


Here's the deal on the trails as far as I know it from the two meetings I attended with the Forest Service with Greg and Jason and the extremely large number of emails that bounced around between everyone:

The big picture goal is an uphill trail and a downhill trail on either side of the canyon where the two new trails are. We were pushing for the "downhill only" designation, but that isn't something that can just be declared by the people we were meeting with. With that in mind, the western "downhill" trail was mapped and routed with an eye towards being a good downhill on a bike, and the "uphill" (eastern) route as a good climbing route. What it will take to get the "downhill" trail designated as such is still up in the air. Until then, both trails are multi-use, with an emphasis on mountain biking. We are going to try and get a sign up there very soon that recommends the uphill (and hiking)route and downhill route as such.

The amount of enthusiasm and work that this trail has been greeted with is more then I would have hoped for. We just need to keep it harnessed enough that we don't ruin our currently good relationship with forest service and jeopardize any further help from them. Everyone should know that they came to us with money to do this trail because bikers are the primary designated users of Leverich canyon. It's not cheap to cut a trail with an excavator like that. They are helping us out a lot, and in turn we need to play by their rules. This is not mountain bikers getting discriminated against. It's a huge step for us in the right direction.

This was cross posted from MTBR. Call me names if you want.

They also were not happy about these water bars being pulled off the old trail, they are needed to stop erosion on it so it can be reclaimed by the forest.

6 comments:

Mr DNA said...

For the record, when I find out about illegal shit on this (or any of our) trail(s) I will personally go up there and remove it.

I want some real DH trails. I want to be able to drive 20 minutes rather than go all the way to Big Sky. I want trails that are really technical and challenging. To get them, we need to work with the forest service. Let's try to be an example for the rest of the country, ok?
Thanks.

-DNA

Mr DNA said...

BTW, thanks for posting this, John. You beat me to it.


Shit, that;s a nice flat landing in that first picture. Awesome.

No, wait- that's not awesome.

Stevo Kinevo said...

It's a sledgehammer.

Stevo Kinevo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
a said...

Hey, for the record, this is an awesome blog. I get a ton of outgoing clicks off my site to you guys, and I appreciate the link back. As a hiker, this report comes in super handy for me, as well! I like to know where the snowline is.

I know stuff is rideable with snow on it, as one of your adroit readers commented on one of my posts, but gee whiz, I have a hard enough time staying upright on flat, dry dirt!

How about a monthly free Bozeman Trail Report Clinic, with rotating clinicians, so each of you can give us suckers tips in person?

:-)

Thanks for adding confidence to all of us! (And btw, I agree, just like climber's access... show the Forrest Service that bikers are an asset and not a liability and things will go MUCH BETTER!)

-Kate Howe
http://www.skiingintheshower.blogspot.com

Mr DNA said...

Kate-
I'm glad that you've found some use of this site. Something that started as an idea during a night of drinking has developed into a useful service to the community.

As far as clinics go, this has been talked about. To have any this year, it's a bit late, but expect to see us have a bit more direct community involvement next year. That's all I'm saying about that :)

-DNA