Monday, March 31, 2008

Pipestone, 3-30

Casey and I had a great ride at Pipestone. The verdict?
Awesome.

Mostly dry with a few muddy spots and some snow. That's the good news. The less than good is that some of the snow conceals thick, hard, slick ice. I found this out by sliding down a hill headfirst on my back still clipped in to my pedals.

Trails in gullies tended to be the snowiest, with some turns concealing said ice. Most of the snow topped out at about 2 inches, and is easily ridable. The muddy spots were pretty much limited to puddles, there were no significant swaths of mud.
Overall, as of Sunday, Pipestone is fantastic to ride. After today's snow, I'm not so sure. They usually get a fraction of what we get here in Bozeman, so it'll probably be fine.


Here's some pics.

-DNA

1 comment:

Denny. said...

I just got back from Lewis and Clark Caverns.

Most of it is rideable minus a few parts near the parking lot at the top. If/when you see ice, it has much more traction than you would think.

I rode when the temps were still low, so the muddy spots were frozen.