Sunday, February 10, 2008

Pipestone pics

Pics from today's Pipestone ride can be found here.

The conditions were, as Dallas put it, marginal today. It was pretty sloppy out there. But, the general consensus, regardless of the extremely variable conditions, and me still being sick enough that I left my breakfast out on the trail, we had a gooooooood ride.
-SM



At Pipestone, the trails that had more tree coverage tended to have about 3-4 inches of wet, heavy snow on them. With the ATV and Motorcycle tracks in them, they were interestingly ridable on the downhills and flats but tough to ride on the climb. Open sections of trail were fairly clear of snow but sloppy. There were few dry sections of trail.
Overall, northish-facing trails were snowy, southish-facing trails wet and muddy (in their own particularly gritty Pipestone way). You can ride there, but you will get sloppy and wear your drivetrain and brakes quickly. Singlespeeds are probably best.
-DNA

2 comments:

DINGER said...

nice pics casey! that was fun, i really need to overhaul my bike now, oh well, i needed a training ride.

Denny. said...

For once, I'm glad I was too sick to ride.

Using the shower to wash my bikes because it's too cold to use a hose... That drives the woman MAD.